Sunday, January 8, 2012

My First Impression of Huck Finn

My first impression of Huck Finn was that he did not like to be controlled. He seemed to enjoy defying the adults around him. Huck seemed to just go to school as a pastime. He said that the longer he went, the easier it got. His father Pap, however, didn't like that he was literate. Pap told him that if he caught Huck going to school, he would get a beating. Huck says during the story, "I didn't want to go to school much before, but I reckoned I'd go now to spite pap" (pg. 31). Making Pap angry was his motivation to go to school. Huck could have had to the option to quit school like the rest of his family, but he stuck with it because it was something that depleased his father.

Another strong characteristic of Huck that I noticed was that at the end of the day, he was still a boy. He gains and loses interests in things very quickly. He narrated in the book, "After supper she got out her book and learned me about Moses and the Bulrushers, and I was in sweat to fiind out all about him; but by and by she let it out that Moses had been dead a considerable long time; so then I didn't care no more about him, because I don't take no stock in dead people" (pg.12). Like many children, he lost interest in this person that he may have considered a hero because he was deceased. His excitment for the story disappeared. Later in the story, after his drunk father attempts to kill him after he thinks that he is being attacked by a snake.  After chasing Huck around, his father doses off leaving Huck holding his gun. The following quote depicts what happens next, "I slipped the ramrod downto make sure it was loaded, then I laid it across the turnip barrel, pointing towards Pap, and set it down behind him waiting for him to stir" (pg. 36). Huck had a loaded gun pointed towards his father, so that when we woke up he would be ready. Instead he fell asleep too and was caught by his father. Huck didn't have enough energy to wait for his father to wake.

No comments:

Post a Comment